Labor Market Impact Assessment (LMIA)
- What is the LMIA?
Response: The Labor Market Impact Assessment is a screening tool that an employer in Canada must complete before hiring a foreign trained worker.
- Why would I want to hire foreign trained workers?
Response: The benefit of hiring foreign trained workers is that it bolsters the workforce and improves employer access to available employees. Currently, there is a major shortage of low-wage workers in Canada. This process is designed to increase employer access to workers, while simultaneously ensuring costs of goods and services don't go up exponentially for Canadians because low-wage workers are working in the roles.
- How do I know if I am eligible to hire foreign trained workers?
1. Do you own or operate a business that requires staff? (PSWs, farm hands, etc.)
2. Have you been in business for at least 1 year?
3. Is your business cashflow positive?
4. Do you have at least 1 employee on payroll?
5. Are you having difficulty finding and/or retaining workers to fill your vacancies?
If you answered “YES” to all of these questions above, then you are eligible for a Labor Market Impact Assessment (LMIA), which gives you access to employing foreign trained workers to fill vacancies and work in your business.
Approved hires can start working in your business 3 to 5 months from when your application is approved and will be eligible to work for 24+ months, which will decrease staff turnover.
For more information or to start the process, please contact:
Kevin Gilbert, 647-218-5532